Monday, July 17, 2017

First Art and Then Swimming


Neo-Pastels by Caran D'Ache

18 July 2017

To quote the Bard, I love it when a plan comes together.

My favorite art supplies, by Caran D’Ache, are made in Switzerland. These are water-soluble pastels and oil pastels. I am taking a break from my iPad drawing application. (I forgot to bring the stylus.) So a search for an art supply store led me to a palace of marvels: cases and cases of Caran D’Ache products, Mont Blanc pens and other temptations. I quickly purchased a box of twelve oil pastels and fixative and exited.

I took the vertical trolley down to the lakeshore and walked the half-mile to Bellerive Plage, outdoor pool and lakeshore beach. With great efficiency I was photographed and signed up for swimming in all the indoor and outdoor pools in Lausanne, and my pass issued on the spot.

This morning begins my routine. My plan is to write about our stay here first thing in the mornings, for your reading pleasure. Then, I will try the pool by the lakeshore at Pully, a 12-minute bus ride away. I’ll come home and work on my main writing project. I’ll take a walking or cooking break. After the spouse returns from the University and has dinner, I’ll have another chunk of writing time.

Gratitude doesn’t begin to describe my emotional state at the moment. I’m aware of both the peace of this place and the insane chaos and pain. I only hope that writing will help me understand, even if I’m unable to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment