Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Who can resist a swim in Lac Leman?


19  July 2017

         Yesterday, per The Plan: Up at 5 writing. Breakfast. Then an hour of file organizing.

         At 8:30 I caught the #8 bus to Pully Plage, at the lake, on the eastern edge of Lausanne. The bus passed the Olympic Museum.  I arrived early to find a crowd of older folk like self and families with young children.

         Promptly at 9, the gates opened. We lined up to pass thru the ticket readers. I inquired, and upon the deposit of CHF 20, obtaind a lock. Everyone headed to the changing rooms, and to the Olympic sized pool, which has 5 lanes reserved for lap swimmers. The system is identical to my home pool. Counter-clockwise circular swimming, lanes divided by speed. They filled up quickly.

         I opted for the area without lane lines;  the water  refreshingly cold and clear. I’m a bit out of shape having missed swimming for two weeks. I’d forgotten the 100 meter distance challenge: going without kick-turns for so long.

         I was good for about 40 minutes, and then I asked about swimming in the lake. A sign across the access steps implied they’re closed. The guard assured me that its “Okay,” just not supervised.

         The water was actually a bit warmer than the pool, and delightfully sweet. I watched as a chain of instructional sailboats is pulled from the harbor for children’s lessons.
 
Who could resist a swim in Lac Leman?

         Today, I think I will start with the lake swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment